The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Happy 2007

I hope everyone made it through the holiday season safe and healthy. Today marks the last day of the official Christmas season here in Dominican Republic. Today is 3 Kings Day, the kids get there toys today. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day the kids get new clothes and shoes.

Our holiday was great, it was filled with joy, old friends, new friends and some bling-bling. I spent Christmas Eve with Fabrizio and his family. We had a lovely dinner and some stimulating conversation. I spent Christmas Day with Richard and his family. We ate and drank like sailors home on leave. We spent a very romantic Christmas night together.

One of my best friends made a surprise visit for New Year's Weekend. Robert popped in from a neighboring island and partied with us. We made stops at JD's and Arena. We actually celebrated twice. We watched the fireworks from Fabrizio's roof and under a full moon. We then went back in and watched the ball drop in Times Square-New York is always a focal point.

After a day of sleep we were invited to the Camillo House for a traditional New Year's Day dinner. Our host James is a very good friend of this blog. Thanks again James. The chicken, ham, potato salad and the collard greens were a welcome comfort to my Chivas soaked stomach. The fun and fellowship were also very much appreciated. The guys gathered at the celebration have been coming to the DR for 10,15, 20 years and they regaled us with their stories of love/lust and everything in between. The stories were colorful and full of life. Thanks guys, you started off my 2007 great.

I wish everyone good vibrations in the new year. Here is a list of things I would like to accomplish this year.
1. Run a mile in under 8 minutes
2. Learn to speak Spanish fluently-I'm taking a class
3. Have children
4. Buy a car
5. Visit Brazil

That is a small list, I also have a laundry list of things I want to do or improve this year.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy New Years and thanks for your perspective. I've been a reader of your blog for several months and it's one of my favorite sites. While I was in SD a few days ago I wanted to introduce myself when I saw you but I was in the middle of telephone conversation, in which the other party was speaking to fast for me to understand(in the lobby of the Casa New Yorker...you had your dog). Also congrats on your Santo Domingo anniversary.

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger The Byron said…

    I wish we could have spoken. I love to meet new people. Next time you are in town, let's have a cocktail.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home