The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Colors of the Wind





I was lucky to grow up in the American south with 2 gay best friends. We insulated ourselves from outside barbs and rejection by getting good grades, running student government and Model United Nations. We all graduated college and are off now doing our own thing. I thought about them recently as I sat at Paco's having an afternoon cocktail. They crossed my mind because I noticed 3 older white American gentlemen sitting with 2 lovely Dominican young men. Now normally I would look at this situation and just chalk it up to a group having drinks before they have sex and the young men are paid for their services.

This time the faces of the young Dominican men were replaced by my two friends. You see, my friends, I'll call them Alex and Bobby, have never, I mean never have been with, sexually or romantically, with a man of color. I mean black, brown, yellow or taupe. They both have only been with white men. On many occasions we have had discussions about this topic and they both say, "well they are just the men we are attracted to." I still can't believe that. I just don't understand how you can be gay and go 15 -17 years only having sex with one race. Maybe that's just me. After reading several articles on the subject, I assumed Alex and Booby were suffering from some type of gay black self hatred, they wanted to be white so they only slept with white men. This did not hold water because they were very versed on African American cultural issues, very socially conscious and both pledged African American fraternities. They are both in stable relationships with white men and are very happy---I still don't understand the lack of variety, but that's just me.

OK back to Paco's. After my "wonderment" about Bobby and Alex. My attention turned to the American men. I wondered if they were here just to sleep with the, "dark skinned boys with the big dicks", (a reference I will explain later). I also wondered if they slept with black or brown men, when they were at home. Or more importantly do they acknowledge the very existence of young "colored" men (black,brown taupe), when they are home. Or do they just fawn over the boys when they come here or other hotspots around the globe. I would hope these men have depth of character and display kindness and generosity even when they don't have to pay for it.

I have a light brown skinned Dominican friend. He loves dark skinned men. He talks about them like they are gods, but his boyfriend is as light skinned as he is---I ask why he does not have a dark-skinned boyfriend, he says, "dark skinned men are great in bed, but for boyfriends, they aren't shit". I was stunned. I asked have you been fucked by every dark skinned man in DR to make that determination. He says he has done a random sampling over the years, and every dark skinned boyfriend has done him wrong. As my mother told me, you can't judge the many, by the few. My friend continues to lust after every mahogany skinned man he sees. His catch-phrase is "dark skinned boys with the big dicks do it better".

I have never been one to care about color. I have always been attracted to beautiful eyes and a killer smile, those two qualities can come in any color. My friends call me the United Nations because I have had boyfriends, lovers and, one night stands that range from eastern Europe to Africa, from the Philippians to Brazil. I don't discriminate. I just enjoy the community of nations and all they have to offer. Dominican men come in beautiful shapes, sizes, and yes colors. I appreciate all of them. One Dominican man in particular.

I have concluded after much debate, that you should do what makes you happy. You should sleep with the person who makes your dick hard, regardless of color. Enjoy life and just do you.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi There, say find this topic most interesting and surely do have my views.I too am totally attracted by men of color and I am white. To me, they are more sensual , sexual and better built in the lower department, get my drift???, not that some white men are not however,, From my linited experience , most of the one's to whom I did experience , they were small in that area. Men of brown, black for just plane deep chocklate turn me on , for dam sure, Just like the men of Santo Domingo, they are so hot hot hot, and so sexual has well. Most also seem to have great skills at what they do best, smile .They are also very social, warm and pleasant to be around.I have been over there now a number of times and find it always to be the same way each time I visit there. Despite the cerfew, which I noticed on this recent trip, 2 weeks ago, has really affected the over all social element in general in a big way, but i shall keep visitng just the same, and agin the men of color are just my preference , we all have our own personl likes , dislikes , wants and what we each desire which makes us feel the best, it's all within the mine, and what makes us most unique individuals.So I feel go for what you know and what makes your you feel the best.But to be honest I have always wondered what makes me like men of color more than white men , where does that come from with in me, how come ?? I have asked my self that same question many times but neve could come up with a good reason but that it was just what turned me on.Please everyone with thoughts on this topic , share your views, than you for the your views on this topic. have a great one.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I too am white and attracted to men of color. In regards to the previous poster's musing, "what makes me like men of color more than white men, where does that come from within me, how come ??".....a very close African American friend of mine explained it most succinctly..."You're just hard-wired that way."

    In other words, it's just the way we are....just like The Byron is not. Neither condition is wrong, and neither is better than the other, so long as we aren't wrestling with inner demons about race!

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Byron, I sent you an e-mail to your personal e-mail but never received a response. I am an American who recently moved to the DR and I was asking your advice on posssible places to inquire regarding employment. Perhaps you did not get my e-mail because your e-mail address has changed. Please let me know. Thanx.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Byron, you know the truth of why white old americans (and lately some black old queens, drag queens in decadence, and HIV+ people) come to visit DR, sit and cruise in Conde St in front of Pacos, and pay for these boy for sex. Dont play naive. They come here because for pennies they seduce these boys to do with them what no one on earth would do it for all the gold on earth. They come here no for that romantic way your picture but for cheap sex that only here and in haiti they would find that cheap. They dont care for the country, or the economy, or the families of these kids, or the health, they just care for themselves and their 30 minutes of what they call pleasure.

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greetings Bryon, I do not know who that last person Number 4 anonymous may be??? but man he is loaded up with much hate and guilt from his very oun perception and feelings or maybe even guilt, Am really unsure.However,, has an older person who enjoys going to Santo Domingo and enjoy so much of what it has to offer including the young men and many other cultured elements of the community, I find his statements very offensive and totally uncalled for , who does he feel he, judge and jury, if he feels that way , let him keep his commets to himself, no one else wants to hear them. God Bless him, he really is however entitled to his own openion but let him keep it to hiw self , thanks for this time to vent my person feelings about these statements.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger The Byron said…

    This is off the topic I wrote about butI do have some comments about it. Yeah, older men come here for some cheap sex, so what. They are not taking advantage of anyone. I think it takes two to tango. Both parties are getting something out of the deal. The older guys are getting some pleasure and the young ones are getting some cash to buy things for their family, food, school or things for thiers wives or girlfriends. I feel sympanthy for either side. Here is another point to the blogger. What about the wealthy men who live on the other side of the city, who come to the Colonial Zone to have sex with these same boys and pay them. Do you have the same disdain for these Dominican men as you have for the Americans, who in your words, "They dont care for the country, or the economy, or the families of these kids, or the health, they just care for themselves and their 30 minutes of what they call pleasure'.

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous #4 (and Byron too, bless your heart), why talk just about "older" men? Men of all ages do it, all over the world. Women too. Seen the new movie "Heading South" or "Going South?" It's about women who go to Haiti and fall in love with Haitian boys while "exploiting" them . . . in your words. Ask whatshername...the How Stella Got Her Groove Back author.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home