The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Questions


A blogger left the following questions last night, here is what I know.

How is your new job going in Santo Domingo? Do you know anything about Bar Friends? I hear that Leon is no longer in the country. Is the bar still open? Did he leave voluntarily? Why are all the bars closing in SD? I hear Parios and The Sports Bar are also closed. Can you update us on the current situation in the gay community?

Work is going great. I am adjusting to the work schedule. I work on Saturday and Sunday, but I have two days off during the week. The schedule interferes with time with my fella, but we both will adjust. I enjoy meeting Dominican-Americans and sharing our New York stories.

On to the Pink Dirt!
Bar Friends is open and doing well. Now mind you,I have NEVER been to Bar Friends or met Dr./Nurse Leon, these are things I have heard through the grapevine. Leon was on vacation somewhere, Brazil maybe, and was headed back to DR when he was detained in Miami on some type of charges. I don't know this for sure, only what I heard.

Parios and The Sports Bar are closed simply because they were not making any money. Business here is really hard. Most gay businesses here depend on tourism for 90% of their business and the ebb and flow of the pink dollar has been really low lately. I know David Lee wanted to make improvements to the Sports Bar, but simply didn't have the money. David is an awesome person and a super human being, I hope he comes back strong with another business venture. Parios just never had any foot traffic. I think people only went because they were headed to JDs. Parios just never had a hook or charisma.

September was a steady month for tourism here. Scotch at Casa New Yorker told me the first part of Septermber has been really good, but the end of Sept into Oct looks bleak. If you are coming to town, please stay at the New Yorker,www.casanewyorker.com. On my days off, I have been going to this cute little bar called, Eight Doors. It's a cool little bar that reminds me of New Orleans, it is off the main drag of Conde and is quite and pleasant. The interior is truly Caribbean and laid back. Uncle Marvin and I had drinks in the middle of the afternoon last week and discussed world affairs, OK so we talked about his many new boyfriends. We also met some wonderful older ladies from Florida, who taught us how to drink Scotch. Three fingers and splash of water!

Until next time...

2 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ???????????? Why would you bother to dish dirt(pink or otherwise) on someone that you have never met. Careful my dear, the fickle finger of fate points in many directions. With Leon gone, who will they come for next. Keep in mind that they were all chummy at one point. Are you immune?

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger The Byron said…

    I don't know why I bothered. Some people are never happy unless some shit is happening. Nevermind, please everyone don't ask me anymore questions about anyone here in Santo Domingo. Anthony was right, sometimes it just doesn't pay to answer comments on the blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home