The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar closed it's doors for good on Sunday night. Before it closed, David threw one hell of a party on Saturday night. Richard and I stopped by to give him our best wishes. The place was packed and all seem to have a great time. Anthony called me earlier in the day to make sure I was coming to the party. He said if I didn't show up I was going to get stabbed, so I made sure my face was in the place.

I'm sad to see the Sports Bar close. David was one of the first people Scotch and I met when we opened the hotel. He always had good advice and a gentle spirit. I wish him well, as he moves to a new phase in his life. If you would like to read his official goodbye, check out http://thesportsbar.blogspot.com/.

This summer has not been kind to the gay businesses. The weather has been icky and tourism has been very slow. Scotch tells me that July/August reservations have been really slow, but they pick up in September. JDs is packed on Friday and Saturday nights, but very slow the rest of the week. Bar Friends has been doing good business the last 2 to 3 months, I hope that will continue. The new club, Rouge opens this Saturday. So on some level things are picking up, but overall the market has been very weak this year.

Again, I wish David the best. David thanks for all of your good advice, your generous nature, and those cold vodlka gimlets! CHEERS!

3 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The way you and Anthony are reporting about the Sport Bar is like David has passed away.... cheer up girls. The Sport Bar is close, David, his brain and heart hasn't. He will be bak soon, meybe with new ideas.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Byron and everyone for your kind words. I will continue with the blog, under a new name, same blogsite address, the new name is TSB-SDQ Online Newsletter and I'll be reporting on the HYPE and Happenings in Santo Domingo. You've not heard the last of me.
    Regards, David Lee

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    byron any more entry ?
    am detoxing please some more me regard to santo domingo and all the fine papis
    jerry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home