The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Por favor, Gracias, and Permiso

I am learning to adapt here in the DR, but there are a few things that still annoy me about this island. Many people have no concept of saying please, thank you or excuse me. I have been in situations where I have been literally pushed out of the way by men, children and even old ladies. This can happen at the grocery store, waiting for the public car or even just walking down the street. Maybe it is my American values or my southern gentility, but I get really upset when
someone invades my space or pushes me for no apparent reason, other than because someone else wants to be in the space where I am.

Now don't get me wrong, many people do say thank you, but not enough for me. While at work I do not have these problems. These situations seem to happen while I am
walking the dog, grocery shopping or at a club hanging out. The please, thank you, and excuse me siuation is small potatoes compared to the standing in line situation. Dominicans do not believe in waiting in line. I was at the store last night and while standing at the counter speaking with the clerk, a man came in the store, stood next to me nudged me out of the way and started speaking to the clerk also. I gave him a "look", he looked at me and kept speaking. I guess the evil look I gave the man was noticed by the clerk because the clerk looked at me, as if to say, please continue, I did so and paid for my beer and left the store. As I was leaving two young girls entered the store and gave the man the same treatment, that he gave me and it did not seem to bother him. I guess he was used to this common behavior. The few places you wait in line here are the bank,immigration, and the bathroom at JDs. In those first two places guns are involved so people seem to follow orders and directions when ammunition is involved.

When these situations happen I am learning not to get my panties in a bunch and just chalk it up to that's just the way things are in the DR. Now when I say "Dominicans", I am speaking in general terms, I don't believe all Dominicans are rude, just a minority who I come into contact with.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Byron, you are just so nice about the way things are. The Dominican Republic is nothing compared with some Asian cities that I visit...or even Asian towns in the U.S. Maybe you should just adapt to the ways of the natives.

    Take care and best wishes.

    Dave from SF

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment is about your previous post: What do you mean by wanting to "Americanize" your apartment? If it means having water and electricity 24/7 then I'm all for it. Or did to refer to furniture styles, decor, etc.? I know that when I have my apt. in SD, I want it to look nothing like the one I have now. I see bright, Haitian paintings, limé dolls, rocking chairs, and other things Dominican in my future! Just my 2 cents... See ya'in SD.
    From Puerto Rico,
    Rafael

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh miss pink your so dramatic! like rafel said why would you want to americanize it ! hellow your in SDQ! and not in SC or NY. Their are so much beautiful hand made things that could make it such a beautiful Apt. I dont understand why you would want to change the people your are one person in a million that is always trying to change a country that is not even yours. Your just passing throuh the country. I also just got back from east asia tour, and they will run over you and you might get spit on! every since you have been there all you have done is bitch about the way the people are! you will contiue to say this years to come and it will be the same. Just have fun and when you return home you will see how fast you will kiss the ground knowing that you back to a country that every one stand in line and dont shove you a said! btw it even happens here in the states so not sure what ur talking about. try hodling the door see howm any people go by with out saying thank you. NY

     
  • At 3:38 AM, Blogger The Byron said…

    First, I am home. Second, no disrespect Rafel, but I want my home to reflect thigns I like and apperciate. I don't want my home to look like a tourist shop. I have not seen any of the things you mentioned in any Dominican home I have visited. Richard and I want a modern contemporary home, we have a lot of work to do. The pale pink paint that is splashed in every room must go, the exposed wiring must go, and the broken tiles on the floor--must go, am I now beign dramatic?

     
  • At 3:41 AM, Blogger The Byron said…

    Did you read the post, this is the first time I have complained and it was minor. I love living here. I can put up with the headaches and inconviences, could you Miss New York?

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well...so be it then!
    From Puerto Rico,
    Rafael

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Byron,

    I know excatly what you mean? Since, I do have a Home in the DR as well as in NY. Making a home reflect who you are as a person is what makes it home! And yes , having hot water, and eletricty all the time is another! THATS WHY I BOUGHT IT! (hot water, inversor) smile!! Take care

    Kenny

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, byron is ur dear friend johanny, and let me tell rafael and the anonymous one, take a chill pill with my friend i also lived in the united states and in the dominican republic and i know exatly what he means you want to be confortable anywhere you lived it don´t matter where and if u can afford it AMEN, and let me tell u i was borned in dominican republic and i don´t get used to a lot of things here, so chill with my friend, ok.

    I Love u sweety, do what your heart desires don´t let anybody influence your desicions..


    JOHANNY..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home