The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Friday, December 01, 2006

THE BITCH IS BACK!


Hola Friends and Family,

I'm back after a few weeks of resting and recharging my batteries. Thank you for your comments during my absence, they were warmly appreciated. Anthony and I were having one of our regular chats yesterday and he told me people were asking if I was OK or was I eating cat food on Conde, since I have not been on the scene for a few weeks. He told me to start writing again, so here I am. Where should I start?

I started a new job with a new company. I am the Quality Supervisior for an American company here in Santo Domingo. I was mildly surprised that I got the position, because over 100 people applied for the job. This is a great gig and I have been enjoying myself. I supervise about 50 Dominicans. They are all hard working and talented people, that surprised me at first, but most of them have lived and worked in the states or should I say--New York.

Richard and I have moved into a cool new apartment. We are in the process of making it into a home. The place is very Dominican, so it is going to take a few months to Americanize it for me. We have had highs and lows designing the interiors for the apartment. The highs come when want the same thing in a room and the carpenter can make it a reality. The lows come when we fight over a color or where a piece of furniture should be placed. Richard is very handy, his father taught him about plumbing so he handles all of the renovation in the bathrooms. (Please no jokes about him fixing my pipes, I hear them everyday!)

Miss Eve Harrington is now living full time with us and it is sheer joy. I wake up to her wet nose and cold tongue in my ear every morning. Richard has a dog also, a cocker spaniel named Sissy Martini, she will be joining the household soon.

Since October, Richard and I have been Friday or Saturday night regulars at JDs. Early on it was getting real tired, the same music and that tired, tired, tired, drag show, but things have changed. Around the beginning of November Anthony and I were eating some chicken and drinking beer and just shooting the shit. Anthony suggested JDs should have some new entertainment---strippers and new dynamic drag queens. I concurred and said if they have it on Saturday nights, they should call it "Sexy Saturday's". Low and behold 2 weeks later, Sexy Saturday's was born and it has been popping ever since. Last week reminded me of the old JDs, packed to the gills with old friends, new friends, and fine ass boys. The strippers have been top notch but, the drags queens leave a lot to be desired. I hear improvements are on the way, so stay tuned.

Christmas is on the way and that will mark my 1 year anniversary here in Santo Domingo. I can't wait. I'm going to have a little gathering to celebrate the occasion, nothing like the Pink Party, but close. It's really good to be back writing about the DR. I feel energized and I have a lot to say. Also, my crew will be taking some road trips in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for places off the beaten path.

XOXOXOX

4 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Santo Domingo Colonial Zone Apts said…

    Byron, WELCOME BACK!

    Your voice had been sorely missed and I'm glad that I could be the first to say welcome back. We missed you!

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sure glad to read your adventures again. This is one "old" gringo in Southern Florida that enjoys your blog. Please be more frequent with your writing. Charlie

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From Long Island NY, missed you a lot, You and Anthony are my escape from my desk into DRama. I'm very happy that you are writing and reporting what We love to hear from DR. Please keep it up....Lazaro Cuban-American in Love with DR.

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Bryon,
    Its Kenny so I see the Bitch Is Back! Man it's good to have you back! See you soon. You have been missed!!

    Peace

     

Post a Comment

<< Home