The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Jennifer Hudson - Letterman Performance

I saw Dreamgirls this morning and I was blown away. I began the movie with high expectations and the musical exceeded them. I have been listening to the Broadway cast album for more than 25 years, so I know every song like I know the alphabet. This version was fresh and invigorating.

Words can not express how impressed I was with Jennifer Hudson's performance. The critics having been talking for months how good she was, but you have to see and hear her. Hudson gives a tour de force performance and sets the screen on fire. The camera loves her and her voice is golden. The supporting cast is above average--Jamie Foxx is outstanding as usual along with Danny Glover. I was amazed at the performance of Eddie Murphy. He had depth and range, this was the best acting from him in a long time. Anika Noni Rose gives a solid performance. The most surprising performance was Keith Robinson as C.C. White. Beyonce does a great imitation of Diana Ross. Her performance was nothing special, but she held her own.

Every Broadway musical has a "showstopper". The show stopper is ,"And I am Telling You". Hudson's performance is superior, but in my heart the song will always be Jennifer Holliday's. It's like someone remaking Respect by Aretha Franklin. Their are other songs from the movie/show that gave me goose bumps.

1. I Am Changing-I cried for Effie, because she saw the error of her ways and wanted to apologies for actions. Hudson handles this song with strength and power.

2. We Are A Family-The cast surrounds Effie and ask her to swallow her pride and dreams for the success of the group. This song made me very emotional, it really touched me. Kudos to Keith Robinson.

3. That's My Dream-Jamie Fox sings to Beyonce, I could feel how much Curtis loved Deena and believed in her. Jamie gave me chills, that song was pitch perfect.

4. Listen, This is a song written for the movie and it is a stunner. If Beyonce receives an Academy Award nomincation, it's because of this song. In the middle of this song the tears streamed down my cheeks like rain.

The last song, Dreamgirls Finale is a stunner. Effie returning to sing lead as Deena returns to backup is fitting. Effie is belting out the song to the crowd, but she is really singing to her daughter was awe inspiring. I stood in my room and applauded the movie, Richard and Eve thought I was crazy, but the movie deserved even my humble praise.

I have included a clip of Jennifer Hudson singing, I Am Changing". The clip is from the Late Show with David Letterman. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greetings Bryon, say your doing some great sharing of your views and thoughts on many topics, but your assessment of Jennifer Hudson, was right on, she is a very talented young Lady with a super great future ahead of her, Bless her heart. Did you happen to see her win her award on the Golden Globe the other night, her speech was so humble and thoughtful and above all so greatful for many reasons, she did a super nice job expressing her true feelings, Bless her heart again, she is a true star in the making for sure.Good to hear your doing so well over there has well, life is good to you, great to hear that with your new love, good things shall come your way in 2007, just ENJOY..Jim from Houston

     

Post a Comment

<< Home