The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Grant

I have a friend a work,let's call him Grant, who everyone thinks is gay.
He tells me he is straight so I believe him. He has a girlfriend and is a very
caring and intelligent person. He is tall very attractive and is articulate.
He also has great taste in clothing and has fantastic style. Now anywhere
else in the world he would be considered metro-sexual,but here in the DR he is
stamped with gay and in the closet.

Grant and I have had several conversations recently and in those discussions he has shown how sensitive and caring he is about humanity. His strong
convictions about love and relationships are admirable. He speaks of his
girlfriend in glowing terms. I feel like I am a better person because I know him.
I belief my friend is subject to these attacks because he
does not act like the "typical" Dominican male in their 20s. As a college graduate
with a Visa that allows him to travel anywhere he is the envy of many of his peers. Grant doesn't act like he grew up on a corner in Brooklyn. (not that there is anything wrong with that). Many Dominicans believe they have the
right to tell you how to live. As I wrote that sentence I was thinking Americans think that way also. Moreover in a small third world country being different is not appreciated.

I have always lived my life and everyone else be damned. Life is to be lived to its fullest. I won't spend my time on small minds and idiotic attitudes, weather I'm in Santo Domingo or Marakesh. I have always liked the quote from Marilyn Williamson, this reminds me, to be me everyday. I in turn will help everyone around me
shine, Grant, keep being who you are--damn
everybody else.


Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within
us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously
give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others
--Marilyn Williams

5 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    C'mon Byron, you perfectly know that kid is a closeted gay, and you perfectly know how much you want to do him, but can't due to your brand new born-again-gay attitude.

    We old queers know perfectly the roles closeted gay people take to play their role in DR: The bisexual macho, the gay friendly metrosexual, the mature counselor, the artistic teen, the intelectual philosopher, the religious sweet and touching folk, the shy genious...all them are poses, and all them are 100% gay, you just have to use the appropiate trigger for them to show the gay personality openly.... and of course, once they did it, they would say "this is my first time, just did it last nite because it is you".

    -F

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agreed to this philosophy. Be good and continue being your. Be blessed.

    FYI: It's "Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love"

     
  • At 4:50 AM, Blogger The Byron said…

    First, the only person I want to do is Richard. Why is it that Grant has to fit into a certain mold. I want the kid to be happy. If he decides he wants to come out, I will be his friend and support him any way I can. If he loves his girlfriend and wants to marry her-I will support him just the same. I want people to stop thinking in conventional terms. Instead of painting by the numbers, create your own masterpiece. Now that's a brand new born-again-gay attitude.

    Professor, thanks for the correction on the quote, it is one of my favorites.

    The Byron

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Bryon,Very interesting story here about this young man, who apparently is sexy , attractive and sensitive to his feelings has well has his frineds. Not only is he attractive, sexy and good looking but it sounds like there is a great deal of jealously over his good looks and what he has to offer, but does not, smile. I would suggest that you cont'i to be his friend and to hell with those who makes commets and really do not know the truth about this young man . Bless him and do just has you are, be there for him when he wants to chat or share. Have a great week. Jim From Houston I enjoy your little story's..

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hola Byron, por que no escibe tus historias tambien en espaƱol ya que tienes publico de habla hispana y mas cuando te refieres a nuestra adorada media isla, es cierto que lo de metro-sexual no es mas que una forma de pasar por debajo de la mesa la manera gay de expresarse las personas que estan todavia metidas en los closets. Creo que las personas deben de aceptarse como son y saber vivir del modo que quieran y tratando de que se le respete sus derechos como persona que es.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home