The Byron of Santo Domingo

The musings of an ex-Southerner, ex-New Yorker Living and Learning in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Monday, May 15, 2006

Playa Caribe and Other Stuff






I didn't go to the bars this weekend, so no news to report. I may have something to say about AM's blind item on Monaga in a few days. I may include some name's, dates and the hospital report(wink).

Sunday was incredibly hot so, Richard, Scott, Eve, and I jumped in the car and headed to Playa Caribe. Caribe is about 15 minutes past Bocha Chica and a lot less hectic. No vendors selling wares and whatnots. Caribe is where Dominicans go to chill out. There were families,couples(gay and straight), dogs, and a plethora of hot men. They were everywhere. My neck hurt from turing so quickly, looking at all of the delicious eye candy. Their is a large area where folks play volleyball and beach soccer. They are famous for their weekend tournaments. The large restaurant and bar give you panoramic views of the ocean, the sand volleyball court and the black and brown bodies frolicking about. You can get a lounge chair for 100 pesos or an umbrella table with unlimited chairs for 200 pesos. We opted for the table, you can't beat the shade.

When in Santo Domingo, skip Boca Chica and head to Playa Caribe, you will not be disappointed.

10 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to the world of blog!! I would also like to congradulate you on your fabulous hotel. I saw the website and it looks great, next time I am there I will definitely check it out. I had to soften you up before the blow... How can you tell the secret that is Playa Caribe?? I discovered it really by accident maybe 3 years ago,and did'nt remember where it was.Then I was taken there by a native the following year, what an alternative to Boca Chica and I love it! Now so will EVERYONE ELSE. Thanks alot!

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger The Byron said…

    I only keep the bad secrets. It's time to share. I may even tell the gay colmados or maybe I should keep them a secret.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger T-D Moderator said…

    Hey guy, it was so nice meeting you recently. You and your partner are "doing us proud!" Hope to be back in SD soon, maybe we can do lunch. Congrats on the blog. You're off to a great start!

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger The Byron said…

    Thanks, I appreciate the support.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OK, so NOW it' s time to post about the incident at the guesthouse in regards to AMs' blind item. PLEASE!

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gay colmodas? Too late...see the Monaga blog. A gay Dominican lists several....

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger The Byron said…

    He did not list them, he said there are some. By the way that Dominican is my best friend and we have visted many of them in the city. I'm not late, in fact I'm right on time.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dominican Folk speaking here. You have to separate two concepts. In Santo Domingo, a "colmado", even when sells drinks and play music that is not the first business activity, dont have social gathering, bathrooms, and laudy music, different than a "colmadon" that mainly sells drinks and snacks, even when also they sells food. Normally "colmadones" may have chairs and tables, dominoes game, TV for watching baseball games, and much more room cause is designed to make peolple stay and drink, and of course cruise.

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To the previous poster:

    Thanks very much for the clarification. What a difference a simple extra letter makes!

    So, Byron, please list the Calmadons! (LOL)

    Congrats on the new blog!

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OOPS!!! Forgot the last "e".

    So Byron, please list the "Calmadones".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home